Thursday Postcard Hunt - Statues and Monuments

 The theme for August's Thursday Postcard Hunt is Art.  This week starts it of with Statues and Monuments.  I have one of each.

Colonel Alexander Leroy Hawkins Memorial in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA

The larger than life statue memorializes a Pittsburgh native who died in the Spanish-American War.  https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=225214  Some sites list him as a state senator, but that is a misunderstanding of the fact he died of disease aboard a troop transit ship named Senator.

The Washington Monument in spring on a 1940s linen postcard.


Next week we continue the Art theme with Paintings/Watercolors. 

Comments

  1. Those linen postcards are always very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww.. look at those cherry trees! great postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these postcards. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cherry blossoms :) oh, yeah, the monument is nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd notice the cherry blossoms first too!

      Delete
  5. The Washington cherry blossoms are a lovely sight and the Hawkins memorial has its own austere beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing it larger, but not looking too closely, I thought he was dressed like a old-time spy in a trench coat!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I've never seen it, but apparently those who have are impressed!

      Delete
  7. I never cared about monuments and statues until I was perhaps in my 40s or 50's. Now, if we are traveling, I have to go check them out. I see this Hawkins also was a Civil War veteran. Those are both beautiful antique postcards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot of US history back there. I mean the early stuff! So much older than what the west coast has.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts