Thursday Postcards - Crafts/Fabric Art/Textiles

 Thursday Postcards

Public Art/Fabric Art/Textiles

Adinkra Cloth that belonged to King Prempeh at time of exile 1897.  Cotton cloth and crystalized resin dye. 

1960s 


A quilting demonstration at Pennsylvania Dutch Days in Hershey, PA. The first Dutch Days was held in 1949 were displays of quilts, hand-painted works, and kitchen utensils.  2,500 attendees were expected, however 25,000 showed up!  The next year the event was expanded to three days. There were activities such as apple butter making, quilting, threshing, music, and more.  Always free of charge, the last Dutch Days was held in 1979.  This postcard is from the 1960s. 


September begins a new theme: Bridges

Comments

  1. Nice collection. I really like the Adinkra Cloth: it looks like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMm, my mom would make apple butter every fall. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much i have learned from googling about the first one! I wonder, if Dutch Days was ever brought back, how much it would cost to get in?? I hope quilting never goes out of style. i have that kitten in a basket card (one of my cats would have chewed and clawed it to pieces, another would have curled up inside and slept!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen that quilt design. pretty. My aunt was a prolific quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the Adinkra cloth is absolutely stunning! I did a quick Google search and was fascinated to learn more about its features. African textile arts truly combine beauty, symbolism, and cultural heritage.

    One thing I've always wanted to try is quilting or patching. It's a skill I'd love to learn someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the third postcard. It gives us the idea of the ambience in the Dutch Days. And how skilled these ladies are!
    My only needlework skill is knitting (so far?).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts