Tuesday Treasures - August 13, 2024

 I went to the Goodwill Bins looking for some bowls.  Just regular bowls, like for cereal.  There weren't any!  The next day I did find four Corelle bowls at St. Vincent de Paul though.  

While at the Bins I did find a few things.  This one has me stumped.  Oh, I know what it is.  A vase that holds a candle in the center, and flower frog type pins in the bottom.  I also know the maker, it's marked.  E. O. Brody Co., Cleveland, Ohio.  It even has a number 3 314 on the bottom. The problem is finding another like it, or anything similar.  E. O. Brody was a distributor and wholesaler of glassware and ceramics to the floral industry.  Glass. Not plastic.  Well, obviously they dealt in plastics too, as this is one.  I have other E. O. Brody items, all milk glass.  I wasn't going to leave behind a flower frog-ish item!


My first "nester" or "stacker" form of salt and pepper shakers!  I found the little one first and put it in my cart to continue looking in the glassware bins, of which there are usually three.  In the last one I found the mama shaker!  It took a moment to recognize they were a pair, as the size difference is so great.  I didn't know they nested until my daughter asked why the big one had a flat area in front.  Still bearing the sticker letting me know they were made in Japan and imported by Napco (National Potteries Corporation).  Napco produced their own ceramics beginning in 1938, and after WWII mostly imported from Japan.  The US market was after whimsy and color, and they delivered.  They peaked in the 1950s with kitschy home decor, including anthropomorphic salt and pepper shakers.


Not E. O. Brody, this milk glass double crimped hobnail bon bon dish is by Fenton.  Unmarked, with dates it to prior 1970 as Fenton started marking their glass then.


These lobster salt and pepper shakers are from St. Vincent de Paul.  They were made in Japan.  


My son said they match the Postcrossing postcard I received from Christmas Island!  They do, expect the postcard features Red Crabs rather than red lobsters.  There are millions of Red Crabs on Christmas Island, and they have an annual migration.  It must be a sight to see, however I wouldn't like to live there for it, as the crabs get everywhere, including inside houses!



Comments

  1. How lucky to find both parts of the salt and pepper shakers. Sad that these things get separated in the thrift store. You'd hope that people would be more careful with things like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts