Tuesday Treasures - August 27, 2024

 A quick trip to the Goodwill Bins netted me some interesting items.

I learned something new too.

I would say this was a brass candlestick, but that's not quite correct.  It's a brass chamberstick.   The main difference is, chambersticks were designed to to be carried, to light the way to one's chamber (bedroom). The wax pan (dish part at bottom) would hold the melted wax.  This chamberstick has a dolphin-shaped handle and thumbpiece.  The thumbpiece helps stabilize the chamberstick.  I think this one may originally had a sconce at the top that lifted off the capital (part candle fits into), as it's rather plain. Some did separate from the main part in order to light other candles.  This dates to the late 1800s. 


This Asian-inspired metal wall decor is mid-century and originally would have had a companion piece.  Because it didn't, one of the Bins' regulars gave it to me to buy.  It's larger than one I found there in May,  9" wide by more than 25" high.  One, possibly two, of the flowers are missing their centers, but I'll eventually find others to replace them.


I may have neglected to share the May one.  It's smaller, and someone has poorly painted the frame.


I found another box of professional photographs.  These are all scenes from the air of Hawaii, mostly Oahu and Diamond Head.  I am not a photographer, so don't know what these types of photos are called.  They aren't finished prints, they have smaller images and information on them.  I won't show them as I don't own the copyrights.  Photographers (that's anyone who presses the button) own those throughout their lives and 70 years afterward, unless a signed contract says otherwise.  


Mickey got two toys, actual dog toys that squeak!  He's getting nervous!


Did you know that dogs will yawn out stress and anxiety?  Posing his new toys for a photo op made Mickey anxious.   Did you know ferrets do this too?  Dogs will also shake it off, like when they shake off water, only then they're just shaking to get drier.


I like these wood vintage dresser swing frames, so picked this one out of the bins. 


I may have posted this one from May before, but, like the metal floral wall decor above, I seem to have missed some May finds.  I don't think I add the right labels to find things again!  This is from the 1930s.


Comments

  1. What's making Mickey nervous? I didn't know those candlesticks... I mean chambersticks had a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a lot of things make Mickey nervous. Here it was my pointing the phone at him, and arranging the toys just so.

      Delete
  2. Now I know what a chamberstick is. It would be a wonderful scrabble word.
    I love old photos and I love the respect you have for the original photographer. Not too many people realize much about copyrights. I have over 92,000 photos on flickr, all but a few copyrighted. I suscribed to a service for a while that would track down copyright violations and hit them up for a settlement. I quit after a while. The overseas company would ignore them as would big domestic companies so they spent most of their time squeezing individuals and it just didn't feel right so I got out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you have a lot of photos on Flickr! I doubt anyone would come after me for posting an old photo, and they'd probably never see them. Plus, I'm not using them commercially. I try to find free to use photos if I don't have one of my own. And credit the photographer or link to it anyway.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know about candlesticks vs chambersticks, either. I didn't know the laws of copyrights had changed. I'm thinking that the "life plus 70 years" applied only to works produced after 1978 - the laws for older works vary some but I think it might be 28 years, renewable for another 67 years (total of 96 years), at least for books. The latter may not be correct - I am not a legal professional. I believe the 96 year rule puts books written before 1929 in the public domain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be more confusing. It changed in 1998. Photos and written works are 70 years after death or artist/author. I am strongly opposed to written works' copyrights expiring at all, if the heirs want to renew them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts