Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - July 2024

 Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day July 2024

Despite the horrid hot temperatures we've been having the past week or so, some of the flowers don't look too worn out.  What's blooming is pretty much a duplicate of July 2023, with daylilies ruling.

 Upper row, left to right: Longfields' Pink and Bonanza

Bottom, left to right: Moon Music and So Lovely

Top left: Scottish Fantasy

Bottom left: May May with Blue Jeans Baby Russian sage in the background 

Right: Rocket City 


In the Butterfly Garden the Mesa Red blanketflower and a yellow type are trying their best. Blazing Star, faded yarrow, and lance-leaf coreopsis don't mind the heat. 

The Pollinator Garden is getting pretty faded. 

The drumstick allium is done, no more bees swarming them.  More coreopsis, and purple coneflower, which pollinators eschew for other blooms.  The clumps in the back are yarrow and strawberry mint. 

The Toss Garden shows signs of summer's end. Coreopsis, Black-eyed Susans are the major flowers at this end.

Rose Marvel salvia on its second blooms.  Remember to cut salvia and catnips/catmints down after the first bloom is done, you'll get more. 

My Pandemic Pomegranate has flowers!  It had two buds last year, but a snail slithered to the end of the branch and ate them one night.  It's a Pandemic Pomegranate because I wasn't going into stores, my son was doing the shopping.  I went along for the ride, and to get out of the house, while he was going to shop.  I saw a display of plants outside the store and told him to buy me one.  Anything!  Just buy me a plant!  He bought me this pomegranate.  A Parfianka.   Will it form fruit?  We'll have to wait and see.  

The last globe artichoke. 

Wild bergamot, or bee balm has come back.  I grew it from seed and transplanted it last year.  It's much shorter, much, much, shorter this year.   It's near the coneflowers, and you can see the pollinators prefer this. 


Lastly the gladiolas.

One of the ruffled ones is Ruffled Coral Lace.  It's usually darker.


Don't be fooled by the pretties.  What you don't see is dead grass, live weeds, bare dry soil, and empty vegetable beds.  

The front yard...

See?  Lots of no-so-pretties. 

A lovely volunteer that has now spread to being a ground cover, and even able to be stepped on, is the Self-Heal, Pruella Vulgaris.   

One last thing.  

Hot and Spicy oregano flowers don't look like much, but the small pollinators cover it.  I also see (left hand side, the small tan bug) one of the new bugs to my yard, a potato mirid or potato capsid.  I think the large scale marijuana grows have drawn it to the valley.  




Comments

  1. A Parfianka Pomegranate...how fun and how lovely! The Daylilies and the butterfly garden look great. Sorry about the heat. Take care. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard dealing with the heat you've had in recent years, so a round of applause for having as great a GBBD post as you did have. And you know the names of your day lilies. Lovely seeing all of them, and flowers I can't grow such as globe artichoke (so THAT's what they look like if they are allowed to bloom) and pomegranate. Both are so pretty in bloom. I forgot to cut back my catmint and I need to. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are looking good. Interesting how the garden is the same as last year at this time. Was that planned?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daylilies are beautiful, such gorgeous color! The globe artichoke is interesting to see in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Lilies!
    Love the Black-eyed Susans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks fabulous, especially given that I've heard the temperatures up your way have been higher than ours! I love that 'Rose Marvel' Salvia. The pomegranate is a wonderful acquisition - I hope it gives you some fruit, even if it needs more time to settle in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gardens are beautiful with so many blooms and I especially love your assortment of lilies and the pollinator garden, which is still looking lovely in July! The globe artichoke is really awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daylilies are inspiring...I wish I could grow pommegranates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts