Sunday Stamps - July 14, 2024

 Sunday Stamps

To continue the Hemisphere theme, this week brings us to the Eastern Hemisphere

Czechoslovakia 1960 "World Federation of Trade Unions"

This shows the Western and Eastern Hemispheres. 

Japan 1957 Year of the Dog (yes, it does indeed look more like a cat)

New Zealand 1935 with a Grey Fantail.  They don't look like much different from any small grey insect-eating bird until they fan their tails!  The male and female Grey Fantails look the same.


United States, 1960
Another showing the Eastern and Western Hemispheres.  It honored the auto industry and was issued in conjunction with the Detroit National Automotive Show in Oct. of that year.


The Southern Hemisphere comes next week. 

Comments

  1. That is a rather cat like looking dog (perhaps much like me??). That fantail looks quite magnificent on such a small bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a cat, but then found there is no "Year of the Cat." I read more since I posted. It's a Inu-hariko, a dog folk art papier maché toy.

      Delete
  2. you have some great vintage stamps!!!! Love the New Zealand stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have thousands of them. Unsorted. It's overwhelming. They are mostly from that shoebox full of stamps I bought earlier in the year at a rummage sale for $10. I have US and foreign separated, and people's heads separated. Today I started in on foreign, putting them in envelopes by country. Nothing else to do in the heat!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't resist. I searched online for "Japanese dog stamp that looks like cat" and your Japan 1957 stamp came right up. That rummage sale gave you some wonderful finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much prepared for upcoming themes! Now and again I do buy some special ones (eBay) for cheap. Like dogs stamps! I'm trying to get not just A-Z of stamps (I have them, with a twist for X, since no country starts with X), but dogs from countries A-Z! My X isn't dog related, so I have to work on that.

      Delete
  4. The wheels of freedom is a neat design. We are having a rainy summer, wet days are also good for a stamp sort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun journey across the Eastern Hemisphere!
    The Japanese "Year of the Dog" stamp made me laugh - it definitely has a more feline appearance. Animal representations on stamps can be so whimsical, and that adds to their charm. The New Zealand Grey Fantail sounds intriguing. A bird that looks ordinary until it fans its tail? It's something that you often see on a Richard Attenborough documentaries! I'll have to see if I can find a video online :)

    In the Company of Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, fascinating stamps! I don't collect them, but I've often thought that would be a fun item to collect. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts