Tuesday Treasures - July 2, 2024

 I got another abstract figural African wood carving at Goodwill.  This one, an adult and child, is from Ghana. $2.24


I say "another" since I got this one a while back.  I don't know if it's Ghanaian, but it is from Africa.  The lovers arms and heads form a heart.

Years ago I found this stone carving of a family at Goodwill, made in Zimbabwe by the Shona people, for only $1.79.  They carve soapstone and serpentine.  This one is in perfect condition, the wooden and the next stone one are scuffed.  $1.79

On my last trip to the Goodwill Bins I rescued another Shona stone carving!  This one is in serpentine of two figures dancing. There were scuffs I smoothed out with black crayon!  Crayon fills scratches and chips nicely, and rubs smooth and shiny! It's not perfect, but better.  I use crayons for picture frames a lot.  I bought two breakables at 10¢lb. that came to 8¢, so let's say this cost 5¢ since it was heavier than the other item.



Comments

  1. I like the Shona sculptures, and you have some nice finds here. I did a (quick) internet search and there are art galleries that specialize in these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black one is really nice. It's heavy and so smooth, you just want to hold it and run you hands over it! Sometimes you can still find real good buys at thrift stores.

      Delete
  2. You've got a nice collection there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the first one! Marina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts