Vegetable Garden - How it Goes in July 2024

The vegetables are doing better than last year, which was pretty much a failed year.  

The best is the Sun Sugar tomato from Walmart which has little green tomatoes.


True Beefsteak or Fejee has flowers. Fejee on the left, Sun Sugar on right.


Abe Lincoln doesn't look good, nor do the Dragon Tongue beans. I fed them a few days ago.  If they don't perk up they're being pulled out and replaced.  These are Pine Tree seeds, all the other times I grew Dragon Tongue they were from Baker Creek.  


Lemon cucumbers are doing best of all the vegetables. The beans in there were looking okay, but now snails have found them.  A snail was found on the remains of my last marigold growing in the container the other morning. 


These started from seeds that germinated in May.  I also sowed more seeds in another container that just germinated.


The Galeux d’Eysines (warty French) squash is doing alright.  They also were seeds that came up in May.



The only things I really care about are the cucumbers and tomatoes.  Beans just behind them.  Hot weather and recent years of smoky summers have taken away a lot of the enjoyment in growing vegetables.  It definitely does not save money, no matter what you read on homesteader social media! 

Comments

  1. I'm sure the heat is making things worse. How are the plants that you winter sowed for A to Z doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should see the beans today! Yesterday was 108°. They say vegetables need full sun, but I think the sun is just too hot now for some of them. The A-Z ones? A few are doing well. Z, N, G, I, V, S... all nice. D was eaten by snails, I've started more. The M is gone to snails too. E, no luck there, I never have had any with those. R got three plants only. Always will have N self-seeding now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts