The Smoke's Arrived - July 2024

I can't say summer's been pleasant recently, not with temperatures well over 100°.  But, the sky was blue.  Not anymore.  There's a wildfire about 20 miles from here, to the northeast.  This morning it's not only hot, 92°, but the air is smoky and smells like fire. 

My usual views of the mountains, to the south and west, on the left, vs this morning on the right.  You can just make out the mountain in the top right photo. 






I am giving up on the beans.  I may give up on beans forever!  The soil can be damp, but the temperatures are just too hot for the leaves.  No, the soil doesn't look damp here, but it had been watered earlier. 



Comments

  1. Ugh, I hate it when there’s smoke in the air

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect beans are sensitive to bad air. Years ago, I lived in Wichita, Kansas which gets into the 100's every summer (my personal record was 112F). We had smog alerts and you could see the beans ailing. The tomatoes thrived with the frequent watering although they stopped setting for a bit, but the beans? RIP. Your air is way worse than a smog alert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. There's something about heat and smoke that's just very unsettling. Take care. I hope things clear up soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts