Tuesday Treasures - July 9, 2024

A real mixed lot of treasures today.

For 25¢ at St. Vincent de Paul I found this vintage lithograph.  It's a bit of an enigma.  The original painting is by Henry Alkin, with the title on the bottom of prints, "Going to the Meet."  However, this print is from a painting signed Reid.  I will assume Reid painted his own version for the publisher, Arthur A. Kaplan Co. Inc. (N. Y.).  I haven't found another, however there are lots of lithographs available from the 1970s and 1980s.  It has the look of older though, perhaps late '60s. This is mounted on cardboard, and the frame had broken glass, so I asked the cashier to just throw it out.  I only wanted what was in it!


This vintage photo album, unused, with black paper, is from the Bins.


Imagine, 49¢ new! 


That's not the first unused album I found in the Bins.  Earlier this year I found this scrapbook.  A few of these albums are for sale online, filled with dated ephemera, which show it to be an antique.


A modern scrapbook I'll use for postcards. I just got my order of acid and PVC free postcard pages to use instead of what's in it.  Each page holds three, one horizonal, two vertical, so three each page if need to leave backs visible, or six if nothing of interest written on them.  Another Bins find.  As books these were 25¢ each.


Speaking of postcards...

I've received two more from Postcrossing participants.

Japan

It's from the Japanese Modern Literature Museum.

I had a problem with translating, something to do with water, a bridge, and a cucumber.  The first lines translate to "A lot of cucumber, good luck."  I could make up a story to go with my vision of the illustration.  Once there was a man crossing a bridge.  He spied a large cucumber floating by (or perhaps he dropped the cucumber he was carrying).  He loved cucumbers.  So much so his wife had kicked him out of the house for eating all the cucumbers she'd been growing to turn into pickles.  Seeing the pickle floating there (or falling), he dove into the river after it.   The translation is no doubt nothing like that, and Google includes something about a "bald head."   So, the bald-headed man loves cucumbers.    You know, I could send a message to the sender and ask!  This is the orientation the sender used on her list of sent cards.


It came with some pretty stamps.

Expo 1975
Okinawa International Marine Memorial 
Bingata textile pattern


1982 Letter Writing Day
The fairy is getting a letter delivered by bird.



Where do these old stamps come from?  Do postcard and stamp collectors save them up for decades?  

Serbia

Isn't this cute?  The sender is an illustrator, and I suspect prints her own art for postcards.  Her Instagram is full of fabulous art.  


The stamps had cherries, chicory flowers, and one (2013) featuring a vintage postal truck . 


Postcrossing is free to use, you just pay for postcards and postage.  Give it a try! 






Comments

  1. I'm going on a cruise in the coming weeks and there is going to be a Postcrossing meet up onboard. Seeing the Facebook posting for the meetup on the cruise Facebook page was the first I had ever heard of Postcrossing. But the meet up postcards will only be given to preregistered Postcrossing members on the cruise It's interesting - getting a postcard specially printed for an event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Postcrossing is bigger than I knew. New Zealand is issuing a Postcrossing stamp! It has a kiwi "flying" (balloons) carrying a sack of postcards.
      https://www.postcrossing.com/blog/2024/06/27/an-upcoming-postcrossing-stamp-from-new-zealand

      Delete
  2. How fun with that postcard. Those scrapbooks are quite the find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I am envious of your prices!! Those books are perfect. I go to stamp shows where I can get so many older, unused stamps that I save for postcards (and especially other stamp collectors). As I sit here, drinking my cucumber water, I am entranced by your story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Vincent de Paul now and again underprices things. The other prices are only so low because it's the Goodwill Outlet store. Most things are sold by the pound as salvage. They get too many donations, so a lot of it never even sees the shelves of a retail store. Rummaging in the bins of stuff isn't for everyone, but I think it's fun, like a treasure hunt!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts