Thursday Postcard Hunt - Sweets and Desserts

 Thursday Postcard Hunt has us hunting for Sweets and/or Desserts this week. 

A trio of French postcards with the recipes on the back.

Alsatian Kouglof

Kouglof is a yeast based cake with raisins and almonds.

Blueberry Tart 

Far Breton is a custard flan cake with prunes.


c1960s Southern Pecan Pie claims to be "One of Florida's outstanding 'mouth-watering' desserts is PECAN PIE."  While pecans are native to the Southern U.S. states, I've never associated them particularly to Florida. The series also included Key Lime and Orange pie.  


Oh, were you hoping for something a bit more sweet (although not much is sweeter than pecan pie), like Candy?

How about Wilbur Chocolate?
Unfortunately, the factory in Lititz is closed and there are now condos and a hotel at its previous location.   There are factories in other locations in PA, and a retail store in Lititz.  



Markets and Cafes are next week's postcard picks.

Comments

  1. You are right - pecan pie is so very sweet! Custard is a favourite of mine. We have an old candy factory turned into condos, appropriately called the Candy Factory Lofts with a Chocolate Factory Lofts next door. They are possibly the most beautiful lofts in the city, and possibly more memorable than the candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like pecan pie, however it is so sticky sweet I can't eat much. I've tried! Condos seems to be popular replacements for factories of any kind.

      Delete
  2. Recipes on postcards? I guess those have turned into recipe blog posts in the modern day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the ones with the recipe on the front, they are more decorative.

      Delete
  3. You have awakened some lovely French holiday memories with your cards, we were in the Voges mountains in blueberry season so the auberge were all making blueberry pies (delicious) and as a custard lover I have maxed out on Breton flans over the years although I probably prefer the plain ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blueberry pie! I used to have blueberry bushes, but the new summer heat and wildfire smoke did them in. I don't know if your plain flan is what I think of, with the melted caramelized sugar on the bottom (before cooking), also called cream caramel, or "365" because it's an ordinary everyday dessert! I love that flan!

      Delete
  4. The only one I have tried (and made!) is the far breton. I love recipes on postcards. They say a lot about the places they are sent form!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these French desserts are, except the pie, not what I would think of as desserts. But, I find American desserts, and pastries, are much sweeter and much more gooey than in other countries. Which may explain a few things... ! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts