Shadow Shot Sunday - October 1, 2023

 Ah, October!  My favorite month of the year.

Here we have the first Shadow Shot Sunday in October.  Have a shadow to share?  Click on the link above and join in.

My shadow shot is of two Italian nativity sheep.  I was sitting at the computer, minding my own business (which I wish Baby Cat would do when I sit at the computer) when I noticed sheep shadows.  


Why are two sheep by my computer?  I don't know.  I got them out of the Goodwill Bins in August of 2022, and they've been standing nearby every since!  

They were made by Fontanini in the 1960s.  The company has been making hand-painted nativity figures for over 110 years.  

Why do my sheep have long tails?  Most breeds of sheep are born with tails.  Sheep ranchers will say cutting them off protects against disease, but that claim isn't backed up with science, and many countries (and a very few U.S. states) ban the practice.  I remember as a child "learning" that a lamb had a tail, but it dried up and "fell" off.  Which is actually due to banding the tails so tightly it cuts off the blood supply, so it does fall off.   Sometimes lamb's tails are docked for show, since it looks like the animal has a larger (read "meatier) rump.  


So, lambs have tails. After all, there's the expression for when you want someone to wait for you, and you'll only be a few seconds longer. "I'll be with you in two shakes of a lamb's tail."

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Live lambs are so cute with tails, they wag them!

      Delete
  2. In the first picture I saw sheep in the first shadow and a coyote in the second. Perhaps that is from my few years of living in the country, when my neighbor raised sheep but it was more a buffet for the area coyotes. I'm very happy there is a movement to outlaw tail docking, but from what I can see in a quick search, New York still permits it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, one does look like a coyote! If you use Instagram a fun account is raventreeranch. They have incredible live stock guardian dogs, and they really alert to the coyotes. The most fun is their border collie, Pete. They have a working one, but Pete's a farm dog and runs around having fun!

      Delete
  3. It's funny how some things just remain out. I guess that's their home. Great shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just kind of hang around there. I do have to set them back on their feet quite often since the cats knock them down.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts