Thursday Thirteen - October 5, 2023

 I haven't participated in Thursday Thirteen recently, so thought it was time.  I also have thirteen photos stored up to share!  

Mickey couldn't believe I ran out of "pocket treats."

Double Click bicolor Violet cosmos.  Not all the flowers were this pretty, and some were solid burgundy. 

One of my cats, Benny.

A display at the grocery store. 


Mushrooms at the park.

The only Monarch I've seen this year.  It was in the compost pile.

Wild grapes against the fence.

Wild grape vines stretching out in preparation for next year's garden take-over.

One perfect borage flower.


Wednesday's fog.  I was playing around with adding text on my phone.  There was fog, but it burnt off and got quite warm.  Nights are cool, yet today and tomorrow are forecast to be 86° and 88°!


There's a building downtown with an old, old Coca Cola advertisement still on the bricks.


A friend of a friend brought over a lot of these fence sections.  I'm putting them to good use.  Here two short lengths keep Mickey from going where he isn't needed, between the fence and the shed.  He likes to dig under the shed.  I think he's looking for rats. 


Lastly, here is Benny in the Halloween cat tent I got at Goodwill.  I think the dangly toy must be full of catnip!



 



Comments

  1. I love the variety of your shots. Lots going on there.
    I worked at a Monarch Butterfly festival. Of course the monarchs did not make an appearance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes to show that there really aren't as many as there used to be. I have a lot of my native milkweed (narrow-leaf) but no monarchs come around.

      Delete
  2. Those flowers are beautiful. Those don't look like wild grapes to me. They look like Concord grapes, maybe on a vine that's grown wild and not been pruned properly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Vitis californica, California Wild Grape. They volunteer, I guess the seeds are spread by birds. Or opossums or raccoons. Rats. This one was a tiny volunteer I had in a pot, then stuck it in the ground. The past two years it's gone crazy. California Wild Grape is credited with saving the European wine industry between 1870 and 1900 when the vine grapes were killed by aphids. Even now, almost all wine grapes anywhere in the world are grafted on the rootstock of California Wild Grapes. They are very hardy!

      Delete
  3. Great use for the fence sections! And the grapes look yummy! Great photos for Thursday 13. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't taste too bad, a bit tart, but too seedy to just pick and eat.

      Delete
  4. Can you loan us Mickey? We've got a rat in the house. The exterminator is coming, but a dog that can find the rat would be preferred. Our dog is useless in this regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd be happy to go for a rat! I hope the rat can be exterminated without poison. In CA I had one die under the kitchen floor and we couldn't cook in there for a long time, couldn't breath for the smell.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Benny! Hi, Mickey! The way you shot that mushroom it reminds me of Stonehenge. Cool photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushrooms are probably my favorite photography subject! Or bird's nest fungi.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts