Tuesday Treasures - October 24, 2023

Does anything scream "Mid-Century Modern" louder than this small planter?  Made in Japan for Rubens Originals, it's mold #1412.  

Rubens Originals was a Los Angeles wholesale company founded in 1950 by Rueben Steinman.  He chose to name his company, not after himself, but the Flemish artist Peter Paul Rubens (not to be confused with Paul Rubens, aka Pee-wee Herman).  

Rueben and his wife would travel to Japan several times a year to order ceramics, and design their own. So, the pieces are embossed with a mark and number, and stamped with the Rubens mark and Japan.   Oh, did I mention this was $1.16?


I'll add a few Goodwill Bins finds here.

This is Ludwig von Beethoven.  It's marked 1962 AMR (Alva Museum Replicas of N.Y.). It's an authorized museum replica of a bust by Pierre Felix Fix-Masseu (Fix-Masseu is also marked on the side).  He's missing the base, and now I know what that base with nothing on it in the Bins was for!  I am not sure what he's made of, but not what others online say.  He's not bronze. He's bronze colored.  He's not bronze over marble.  He's heavy, but not marble.  


A novelty souvenir ashtray. 


This concho belt is pretty, however it's not marked, so most likely not silver.  Some of the old silver concho belts aren't marked either, but really, I doubt I'd find a silver one in the Bins.  Alas, it's been along time since I could wear a belt this length!  





Comments

  1. Can you polish up the belt. That might help identify the metal. Yeah, unlikely it's silver, but that would be so cool if it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz has a good idea about the belt. Probably wouldn't fit me, either. BTW about the scarecrow contest rules, I found only this: Participants will be assigned a spot and provided a 5-ft post but must supply their own means to secure the scarecrow to the post. Total display size must not exceed 6 feet high and 8 feet wide. Entries must be weather-resistant; the use of perishable items is not recommended. Participants are responsible for maintaining their entry...." So the definition of a scarecrow isn't given. I favor entries where a large percentage is not store prebuilt (ie the stick scarecrows you find in many stores during this season).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy your annual scarecrow contest posts. Years ago my oldest, he was probably 13 or so, made for a school event a scarecrow. He stuffed leaves in a pair of overalls and shirt, and made the head out of... hmmm, I'd have to try to find the photos, I don't remember the head!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts