Tuesday Treasures - October 31, 2023 - Halloween Thrifts

🎃 Happy Halloween! 🎃 

I've been thrifting some Halloween items over the past couple of months, and here it is Halloween on a Tuesday Treasures day!  Perfect!

One is this metal haunted saloon from St. Vincent de Paul, a bargain at $2.  I think it's missing a bat where the paint is messed up.  I glued little wooden cats looking out the windows, and a flocked black cat to the porch (not shown), all from the Bins.

I got little LED lights from the Dollar Tree.


From the Goowill Bins are these two pumpkin heads.

Gemmy Industries Corp. light up Jack-o'-lantern, from the 1990s.  It works. Too well, the bulb is very bright!


Grand Venture 1997 blow mold candy pail.  People pay $10 and up, plus shipping for these.  I wouldn't. 


Another pumpkin head, this Trendmasters scarecrow that has seen better days.  It used to have light changing fiber optics, and was labeled "indoor use only," however it's obvious he was used outdoors.  Still good for Halloween décor outdoors, especially since I touched up his faded head with orange paint!  His feline friend is from the Bins too.  


A big hairy spider to add to my other big hairy spiders.  I twist their legs around the posts on the handrail, leaving one leg reaching out to Trick-or-Treaters!


A 5" motion activated howling wolf skeleton, with light up eyes, that Mickey snarled at the first time it howled!  It's a good example of how not everything in the Goodwill Bins is broken, dirty, worn out, or gross! 


Two small plastic Jack-o'-lanterns, like party favor size.


Another light-up face.


A HUGE heavy plastic banner, probably from a book fair!  HUGE! I am not familiar with the book, but look at those great Halloween graphics!  


See how huge!


What did I do with it?  

Hung it on the carport gate with binder rings!


A BIG wooden ghost and  slightly smaller big pumpkin for the front yard.



Here we have Mickey being suspicious of a pumpkin pail, a pumpkin basket, wind chimes (hard to tell since the string is black), a ghost, and a string of lights.


A 2022 McDonald's Happy Meal Halloween pails from the Bins.  This is McGoblin, a witch.  


I hung the pails on the old Christmas tree hooks (we use plastic thingies that hang in the gutter, not these old hooks) along the eave ends. You can't really tell, but they look really cute.  Maybe next year I'll have found enough to go all across the front.  I want to "find" them not just go buy new ones.  I'm pretty pleased to have come up with this idea!


 These are inherited decorations.  A very old Mexican clay Jack-o'-lantern, and Gurley's Jack-o'-lantern man candle from the '50s.  He's rather flat of face due to off season storage in my parents' attic!  If you ever see Gurley candles for cheap, snatch them up!  They are quite collectible.


I was telling my son that back when I was a trick-or-treater Halloween was just for little kids.  There were no big outdoor displays, just some paper cutouts in windows.  So, I brought these home from the Bin as examples, although these are from the 1980s not 1960s!
The cat is flocked.  



Have a Happy Halloween! 
 
  


Comments

  1. We had the paper cutouts. We'd get to put them up in the house when October rolled around. They were fun. I like your hook idea. It's a project and a hunt all in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it's all down again. In a few weeks we get to do it all over again, but more so, for Christmas!

      Delete
  2. That 1997 pail - my son had something like that - too bad I didn't keep it! Your scarecrow is fantastic. You have a talent for thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't keep everything! My late mother used to think how much their early cars were worth, but who would have thought to keep a car around just in case it was valuable 50 years later? I have a pail in the '60s. I saw an Instagram reseller find one of those scarecrows that was kept indoors and still worked. He sold it for about $150!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts