Tuesday Treasures - October 17, 2023

I've been finding some nice things in the Goodwill Bins.

A still life painting signed "Collette 2002." I already had a frame to fit, and it's hanging on an end of the kitchen cabinet facing the table I'm sitting at so I can enjoy it.

This is a 3" antique square footed or pedestal dish from China.  This was in with the general salvage, and not a chip on it.  


I am very familiar with this kind of plate/dish, as my grandmother and later my mother (grandmother's daughter-in-law) had many that we used only at Thanksgiving. No, we shouldn't have used them at all, as they contain lead.  We didn't know, and used them so seldom we didn't have any bad results. That I know of! Mostly my mother used this shape to serve mixed nuts or smoked oysters.  I believe my oldest brother has them now.  My grandmother brought them back from China long ago.


I believe this handmade doll must be fairly old due to the natural look to the back of the head's hair wear.  There were dozens of vintage and antique dolls, but another rummager lady grabbed all the others up, filling a plastic tote.  Sometimes people do that, then go huddle in a corner and go through the stuff deciding what to buy.  I wasn't going to hang around and wait for her go-backs.  Oh, I hated go-backs at the end of the night when I worked retail!   



A couple other pieces of art, both vintage prints, lithographs, most likely from the 1960s.  

I have been finding quite a few of the D.A.C. (Donald Art Co.) textured prints*.  Paris Scene is from a painting by Andre Lengard, and isn't marked D.A.C., however it is textured, and the bottom was trimmed to fit a frame, and all that shows is part of "Litho in U.S." so it well could be.  


This next is a print of a painting by Leon Franks (1914-1970).  No glass, but a nice frame.  The print itself is warped, and I wasn't thinking much of it until I noticed the backing is a Christmas greeting signed "Leon 1964."  So, the artist gave a framed print of one of his paintings to someone for Christmas.  That makes it more interesting!  I can't find any other instances of this poinsettia work.

Naturally there were lots of odds and ends!  A little blue glass elephant made it's trip through the bins unscathed (you've seen its shadow). Two Mexican clay jarritos (mugs), and a German Shepherd figurine. A cookie cutter shaped like a hippo.  My son won the prize though, a sterling silver salad fork, made by Towle in the pattern Old Master. If you need to replace one of these, replacements.com charges $60!  

*I think I'm going to devote a post to Donald Art Co. and textured prints in general.  




Comments

  1. When I worked retail, we called it reshop, and I am bound and determined to make this the actual term.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts