SPRING 2024 IS HERE!

 Happy Spring Equinox! 

Almost.  It's on the calendar for today, but it actually won't be spring until 8:06pm my time.  But, let's just call it the first day of spring right now! (Excuse a paragraph below that won't format out of the font it's in!  It looks fine until I preview or publish.  It's not worth fussing over.)

I have my gardening shirt ready.  It's from the Goodwill Bins of course!

front

back

One exciting (because it's unexpected) thing spouting is last year's amaryllis bulb.  This is the actual time amaryllis grow, not winter.  Those bulbs have been forced to bloom much earlier than in nature.  All last summer, fall, and into winter I checked the bulb.  It was still hard, not rotting, so I let it be.   I did share the amazing red flowers last year, but the post is one that I can no longer find.  Does anyone else have a problem with posts disappearing?  Why would I delete a post about a red amaryllis?  


While most of my onion chives are still coming back, this one never left.  I have to assume it's a different kind of onion chive, as the seeds were from The Growable Calendar seed paper, which was from Germany.  


The peas are up!  I had to surround the bed with netting since cats were using it for a litter box in the night.  


There was a pleasant surprise at Walmart yesterday.  Easter (or spring) cactuses (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri)!   I have never seen them in stores before.  I picked one with salmony colored flowers.  Similar at first glance to Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata), what most stores call Christmas Cactus, the flowers are quite a bit different.  



I transplanted it into this green clay pot (with saucer!) I got out of the Goodwill Bins.  It's not staying outside, I just did the transplanting and photographing there!


Hope it feels like spring where you are, or at least like spring is on the way.  It's supposed to be 76° today, but later in the week 20 degrees cooler with rain again. 

Comments

  1. Yeah, we've definitely warmed up.

    (Probably the way to unformat the weird font would be to go into the HTML which is indicated by brackets < > instead of the pencil and then delete the font around that paragraph. That is a bit tricky though, and the other font is not a problem, so no worries.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have to do that when it shows white, usually when I copy and paste from somewhere else. That's easy to find.

      Delete
  2. Craziness with the blog posts, and yes I have similar issues from time to time. Lots of photos suddenly don't link back to my Flickr account for some reason. Oh well. And interesting about the Amaryllis bulb. Beautiful Easter Cactus. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two Easter cactii. I find them a little fussier than Thanksgiving cactus, but I like the different flowers they have. Meanwhile, our spring fled. In the low 40s the last two days, and tomorrow night low 20's are predicted. I fear for our neighbor's forsythia blooms, which were coming out yesterday and today. (That is NOT normal for us).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the flowers shape. I'll keep a close watch on it since you say they are fussier.
      Oh, dear... 20s again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts