Thursday Postcard Hunt: Streetwear

 Thursday Postcard Hunt

Streetwear  

My grandfather on a postcard!  There used to be photographers taking candid photos in San Francisco's high pedestrian traffic areas.  The cameras were worn in harnesses on the photographers' chests, and numbered tickets were dispensed in hopes the subjects would pay 50¢ for a postcard later sent to them by mail.  There are around a million negatives, most unseen, in archives.  Only a few were ever printed. 


I have a street photo of my grandmother (ex-wife of the grandfather) too, but not a postcard.  She saw the photographer and was smiling. 

Tourist streetwear in Old Sacramento.  Streetwear became much more casual than in my grandfather's day!


Next week is Formal or Fancy.

Comments

  1. How cool is the first postcard? Your grandfather would qualify also for next week theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To us now it would seem like dressy clothes! However, that's how my father dressed every day to go to work in San Francisco in the 1960s, hat and all! Every day street wear for The City! My parents would be SO dressed up when they went out to eat there!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful picture, the one of your grandfather! And now I remember I may have some photo/postcards of my own in my old photo box. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting. I've never heard of photographers doing that. Wonderful that you still have the postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandfather looks quite dapper! He might have been a little exasperated with the fashion sense of those in the Sacramento card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely would have been! He was quite fussy.

      Delete
  5. I can remember those old dressing standards. I could wish for that kind of photo. That picture reminds me so much of my Dad and those felt hats the men of his generation wore. I remember going to a men's clothing store with him in my childhood several times, waiting for him to be fitted with a new suit. Certainly, those were different times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father wore a hat to work in San Francisco in the 1960s. I have some photos of my father with a vest too, but I'm not sure that was the regular daily wear.

      Delete
  6. Is that 2nd postcard from the '60s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The postmark is 1981, but the postcard itself looks older. The ruffled edges were popular in the 50s and 60s, so it's possible. It's Old Sacramento, so we can only go by clothing, not buildings or the trolley.

      Delete
  7. What a fascinating piece of history, and nice to have a candid shot of your grandfather beautifully dressed complete with shiny shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts