Sunday Stamps: Flowers

 Sunday Stamps

Flowers is the theme today.

No shortage of flowers on stamps!

I'll start with four from South Africa, dates 1973, issued 1974.

left: South African heather

right: scarlet geranium 



left: African iris, or fairy iris

right: calla lily 




1995 United States asters


Republic of French Upper Volta 1963.  It gained full independence in 1960, and was renamed Burkina Faso in 1984.  The stamp depicts portulaca grandiflora (moss rose), a plant native to South American countries.  This is one of my favorites. 


1969 Hungarian stamp features a cactus, rebutia, another native of South American countries.


Next week's theme is Music

Comments

  1. A very pretty collection taking us around the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun collection. Perhaps these flower stamps don't all reflect their countries of origins (a Hungarian cactus?) but people from all over the world love these flowers. So why not? Our flower gardens are truly international, whether or not we realize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I grow the portulaca. Or, it grows itself, it self-seeds. I have some with orchids and the country had hosted an world orchid convention.

      Delete
  3. Iris is a sentimental favourite of mine. I like the impression of that cactus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like bearded iris. The others not so much.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, esp. the South African stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful collection! I don't have a collection, but I'm a huge fan of fun stamps, especially stamps with flowers and plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My current stash of forever stamps (for use) have flowers on them. A very popular theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy many stamps for use, so usually get get what they have already broken from the book. I get one regular monthly letter that is usually one of the service dog stamps. I like dogs, so that's great! Maybe that's why I get them, the people know I will like them.

      Delete
  7. As you said: no shortage of beautiful flowers today! Flower stamps look always pretty on envelopes, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A popular theme for South African stamps, but then they are gifted with such a diversity of flowers. Love the US asters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aster one is pretty, and reminds me to grow more perennial asters!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts