Thursday Postcard Hunt: Headgear

 Thursday Postcard Hunt

Headgear 

 A Tower of London Guardsman.  Unfortunately, their hats are still made from black bear skins. 

"Sisters"  I have no sisters, just two brothers.


A baby bonnet on a chubby baby girl, my mother, at 8 months, 19 days, in 1920.  Postcards were a popular option when having professional photo taken.


Next week begins a new month.   April's theme for postcards is Transportation, with the first week being Boats, Ferries
Next month also begins the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge.  Check it out.  26 letters of the alphabet, a daily post (Sundays off) having something to do with the letter of the day.  My theme is The A to Z of Winter Sowing. 

Comments

  1. what????? I did not know about the bear skin hats": booo! unacceptable. Nice variety of headgear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "they" say faux fur doesn't match the "natural properties of bear fur." It's good they replaced the beaver caps and leopard skin with artificial. Unfortunately, in the US the military uses bearskin for hats as well. It's optional in some branches, and not worn regularly. Some traditions need to end. Canadian black bear.

      Delete
  2. So artificial black bear fur just isn't the same? Maybe they could work on that some. I thought we were past those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I. Apparently for the military pomp and tradition it's still okay.

      Delete
  3. The big hat on the guard looks a bit like some of the old school marching band uniform hats. I'm glad I'm too young to have had to deal with those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something fascinating about old post cards! That's quite a hat, but they definitely need to stop using bearskin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the bearskins are a problem. and they look so hot and uncomfortable. but, I guess, the tourists would be up in arms if they were replaced. Anyway, love that you have a postcard of your mom. I have one with my grandmother, mother and aunt from 1917, but no bonnets were worn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyway, those black hats are impressive!
    I love the postcard of your mum, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mother was a very cute baby dressed to perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts