Tuesday Treasures - March 12, 2024

As I mentioned in my Sunday Stamps post, I went to a rummage sale in a nearby town last Friday.   I bought ten things, with one being a large shoebox filled with stamps. 

 Lots of stamps.  Thousands of loose stamps.  Plus, books of stamps, mostly filled.  


Envelopes of stamps.  These are some of them.  Countries I have never heard of (because they go by other names now), and some familiar. 


Stamps from so many countries I haven't discovered them all yet!  I keep adding to my list. Last count there were 83 84.  (I forgot North Borneo.) So far I have Algeria to Zanzibar.  I haven't begun to sort them out.  I looked through just two of the booklets and got overwhelmed.  If I'd gotten these a month ago I'd have had a different theme for the A to Z Blogging Challenge next month! 

There are stamps from the 1800s. 
 
Belgium 

Stamps from Germany in the 1920s.   


One of my favorites is from 1958.  It's from Japan for the New Year, Year of the Dog.  It does look a bit like the Japanese Lucky Cat, but it's a dog, there is no Year of the Cat. 


The older Japanese stamps are particularly beautiful.  They look like tiny woodblock prints.  





There weren't only stamps either.  My son was poking around in the box and found foreign paper currency.  I told him he could have any money he found in the box.  Well, leave it to him to find collector's envelopes with old coins!  One U.S. from 1845, another older Italian coin.  Oh, well, I have the stamps.  

The other rummage sale items have to wait for another Tuesday. 

There are several with the same country name, I have to change the names to what they were called at the time the stamps were issued.  The descriptions of the German stamps are my own!  Iran and Persia need to be sorted.  A lot were under British rule and I need to sort them too.   The list is as of yesterday afternoon.


Comments

  1. You have your A to Z theme for next year now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a few letters to go! I can always do Q is for all the countries that had Queen Elizabeth II on them. X is a problem, unless I use Luxemburg. Cheat!

      Delete
  2. I think you found the mother lode of rummage. Just the 1845 coin alone....someone did not do their homework before putting that in a rummage sale. (No, I'm not a coin collector, although I was interested in it as a teen. I've forgotten almost everything I knew.) Those stamps are beautiful and I think, like Liz, that you found your theme for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone wrote on the box top, "For Enjoyment Only," so maybe they thought nothing was of interest. For all I know, the note had nothing to do with stamps, but something else that was in the box previously. It's not an old box.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is an amazing find!!! So cool! Old stamps are so beautiful….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well over 120 countries now! Some changed names, but still...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts