Thursday Postcard Hunt - Traditional Folk Costumes

 March is Fashion Month for Thursday Postcard Hunt.  This first week is "Traditional Folk Costumes."

Folk costumes are traditional clothing, usually associated with a time period or region. Some are everyday wear, others for celebrations, festivals, or formal occasions.

"Typical Dutch Scene

Spanish Flamenco dancer.  My mother tried to mail this to her mother in the U.S. in 1971, but the postal service in Spain said it couldn't be mailed without being in an envelope.  So, designed more as a souvenir than a mailable postcard.

 

Japanese woman, postmark 1905. 


Next week is Street Wear.  Sounds simple, but I'm finding it far from!

Comments

  1. Oh, that flamenco dancer is a luscious card! The Dutch one is interesting not only for the costumes, but it is a bookstore! The "stunning" Japanese woman has an interesting pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bookstores and libraries are my favorite places in any town. Used book stores, which are in short supply here.

      Delete
  2. p.s. any street scene with people in it would be good for 'streetwear'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was hoping for something more exciting! I did find one nice one. And some ordinary ones.

      Delete
  3. The Dutch scene is really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cute. I don't remember where I got it.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if one day we'll consider jeans and a t-shirt a "traditional folk costume". Probably a hundred years from now (or more).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure it will take that long. It was jeans and t-shirts in my teen years, and that was already 1/2 of the hundred!

      Delete
  5. That kind of postcards are still sold here in Spain (not easy to find). I guess it would be no problem no mail them, if you add the right postage rate. I'd try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mused if it had been possible where I would have put a stamp on the flamenco card. I imagine that dress could have create havoc in an automatic franking machine:) I like the Japanese card with the added 'Goodbye' to fill the space up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts