Thursday Postcard Hunt: Boats and Ferries

 Thursday Postcard Hunt 

This month's theme is Transportation

Boats and Ferries 

GdaƄsk, Poland. The building in the background, with the black front, is the GdaƄsk Crane. Now a museum, it was medieval port crane used to raise ship masts and load cargo. At one time it was the world's largest working crane.  

Venice - St. Mark's Basin, the start of Vogalonga, a non-competitive regatta race for any sort of rowing boat. 

June 1936 postmarked photo, mailed as a postcard, of a ferry in San Francisco Bay.  The old San Francisco-Oakland bridge was still under construction in the photo, it opened later the same year.  The photo is undated.


It was mailed to my grandmother and aunt.  Until seeing the "Mrs & Miss..." I am not sure I knew my Aunt Mona's name was Ramona like her mother's, she never went by that!  


Next week is Buses, Trams, and Taxis.  



Comments

  1. The Venice regatta looks so chaotic! It's nice the ferries are still running in the bay area. And cool to see the bridge under construction (how did they manage to get it built in 3 years?1)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, maybe suspension bridges are much quicker to build. Over 8,000 worked on it. It was finished ahead of schedule and below budget too!

      Delete
  2. woah! the Venice regatta image is overwhelming! Awesome San Francisco postcard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the date of the postcard photo, but from looking online it's pretty wild!

      Delete
  3. I love the old photo of San Francisco Bay. A piece of history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame your aunt for not going by Ramona (although, it's not a bad name; an elementary school in my district is called Ramona).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A medieval crane how cool is that. I can't imagine a bridge built nowadays would come in under budget

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are cool postcards, and of course especially the last one. At that time, people wrote to just inform about the weather. With the current postage rates, I think I would write something more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts