Tuesday Treasures - 23, 2024

 Finally... the thrift store drought ended! 

I was ready to walk out of St. Vincent de Paul with nothing when I noticed the back of a mola hanging in the craft and fabric area.  I have a mola that belonged to my grandmother, so I know the backs.

It was priced 75¢!  75¢.  I only had 50¢ cash, and they have a minimum of $5. What was I to do!  I wandered around, found a dog toy for $1, asked my son if he'd found anything (no), and passed by the craft area again, and saw I'd missed another mola, for 75¢!


I'm pretty sure they must be armadillos.  They look like rabbits in helmets.


Okay, I was up to $2.50.  I was willing to donate an additional $2.50 to get these, but looked around for anything to fill the gap.

I ended up with a '50s ceramic spaniel with wonky eyes. 


My other mola is older, brought back from Panama (San Blas Islands) by my paternal grandmother. Oh, what's a mola?



This is the one from my grandmother.  The four-armed figure is Naa Ukuryaa, a symbol of the four cardinal directions.  It can also represent the octopus that created the world, a myth I read about when first researching molas, yet can't find now! 

This older mola has more cut work than the new ones I just bought. 


Such tiny stitches.


It pays to keep going back even after weeks of nothing. 


Comments

  1. Nice that you finally got a score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW - that is a huge score! Did they have no idea what they had there? I have other Central American art (alebrijes, yarn paintings, bead painting) but no molas. How nice that these went to somebody who recognizes and appreciates them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no idea at all! I got a Shipibo (Peru) embroidery there a few years ago. I'm so happy you found this post and know about molas!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts