Tuesday Treasures - April 9, 2024

 Here are four things I never posted (I don't think they were posted; sometimes I write a post then delete it, or forget it's posted.  If you've seen these, let me know in the comments.) that were thrifted in the past few months.  

This is an embroidered silk postcard from WWI.  While they were sold in thin paper envelopes, they weren't often mailed as-is, but sent in other letters.   The embroidery was done in the UK by Belgian refugees and by out of work civilian French and Belgians in France. 

Small cards were slipped into the pocket on the front. This one is not a very good condition, which may be why it was framed for protection.  On the back there is a name and "1917."   I paid 25¢ at St. Vincent de Paul.

Another 25¢ at St. Vincent de Paul and I had a wood carved "Rasta Man," from Jamaica.  That's not my name for them, "Rasta Man" is what they are called.   He's about 6" long.

These 1978 HomCo (Home Interior & Gifts, Inc.) metal wall decor (now hanging on my fence) are from the Goodwill Bins.  HomCo begin in the 1950s as a home party business like Tupperware.  Within ten years the founder was earning over a million dollars as CEO!   The apple press and corn shucker were often paired together.



These last are plant stake waterers I got at a thrift shop near the Dollar Tree.  It's pretty much the world's worst (or the worst I've seen) thrift shop, but the own said she was closing for a week this month to organize and put stock out.  I don't know how she pays the rent.  Maybe her family owns the building! 


   Don't forget to check out the H is for Hens and Chicks for today's A to Z post here, and H is for Haiga over at The Versesmith!  



Comments

  1. The worlds' worst thrift shop? I must know more. Pictures? This deserves its own blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very narrow shop in a row of shops (Pizza Hut, my insurance agent, a barber, laundromat... etc.) at right angles to a little market (mostly a beer stop) and the Dollar Tree. She doesn't have much, and what she does is junky. No order, or rhyme or reason, and most things in boxes still. For the past few months the boxes have blocked the books, and the entire back half of the store. Shelves with signs saying nothing on it is for sale. It even has a terrible name! I can understand a thrift shop called "Second Chance," since you've giving things a second chance. However, this one is called "Second Choice," which makes it seem even the owner knows it isn't the first choice for thrifting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts