How the Herb Garden Grows 2024: Part 1

 The Herb Garden (it's not just one area, there are two, and herbs in containers around also) is springing back to life!  I don't count last month's daffodils and grape hyacinths (which refuse to stay removed), as they are merely fillers I could happily give up.  

It's hard to believe it's 12 years old this month!  I started it the spring after I moved in.   I had, and still have unused, plenty of rocks from large to small.   

That is the area I call the Original Herb Garden.  Here it is now.  Please ignore the weeds.

Some of the original plants are still going strong! The prostrate rosemary for one.  Also, Greek Mountain oregano (currently the flat grey-green to the left, in front of Queen Guinevere.  Either that one, or the Italian pops up all over the yard.  


There is Roman chamomile, the perennial chamomile.  German is the annual.  Honestly, I would much rather have perennial anything than annual!   There's some of the oreganos and onion chives too. The orange flower is creeping wallflower.


True or common lavender,  common thyme (there are other, bigger specimens too) inside the bed, with Woolly Apple mint mostly outside.  It used to be inside, but it's gone a bit wild.   It's one of the more invasive of my mints, but it's where it's okay to be. Tiny pollinators love it.  There you can also see some emerging oregano and the nearly ever-blooming prostrate rosemary.  The rosemary is one of the original herbs planted 12 years ago.


This lemon thyme stopped growing the yellow on the leaves a few years ago.  It still smells lemony though.  Isn't that a nice rock with the fossils in it?  


This is the only time of year I can tell there are two kinds of oregano in this bed.  Greek Mountain and Italian.  They colors are a bit different.  I don't know which is which anymore though!


In a big terracotta pot (curb find) are Pink Panther catmint (my A to Z letter P) and golden oregano.   Oregano does best being divided now and again, so I have golden oregano scattered in different places.  It just glows yellow in the summer


The "New" Herb Garden was built seven years ago, but that will have to be another post.  I don't realize how many herbs I have until I take their photos!  

Comments

  1. Wonderful herb garden. I'm trying to get more going this year. I have a huge patch of oregano plus some pineapple sage, thyme and small rosemary plants. Need to plant basil, parsley and cilantro. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pineapple sage, but it gets just a little bit too cold for it to reliably survive winters.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like the herb garden is flourishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many are reliable perennials that are fine just getting ignored!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's really impressive, and it's filled in so nicely. I like the idea of having an area devoted mostly to herbs, and it's beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts